Coronavirus Update - March 17, 2020
As cases of coronavirus – COVID-19 – continue to increase, the Village is following the directions set forth by the State of Illinois to prevent further spread of the disease. In an effort to protect both our residents and employees, the Village has stayed in close contact with health officials and continues to monitor updates from the Centers for Disease Control, Illinois Department of Public Health and Cook County Department of Public Health.
With Governor Pritzker’s actions filed March 16, 2020 (Executive Order 2020-07), the Village is adhering to the following:
- The Village is adhering to State restrictions on businesses which prohibit offering food or beverages for on-premises consumption. This includes: restaurants, bars, grocery stores which offer a dine-in café, or any other dine-in option. These businesses may remain open offering only take-out (pick-up), delivery or drive-thru service. Those offering carry-out must accommodate for social distancing; i.e. ensure waiting areas allow for patron separation. This restriction started at 9:00 p.m. Monday, March 16 and runs through March 30. Many restaurants have posted how they will operate during this time, and the Village is continually updating a list of local take-out, drive-thru and delivery options. Visit experiencemountprospect.org to learn more.
- The Village is adhering to State restrictions prohibiting all public and private gatherings of 50 or more people, which begins March 18, 2020 and runs through the duration of the Gubernatorial Disaster Proclamation. A public or private gathering includes community, civic, public leisure, faith-based events, sporting events with spectators, concerts, conventions, and any similar event or activity that brings together 50 or more people in a single room or a single space at the same time. This includes venues such as fitness centers/health clubs, bowling alleys, private clubs, and theatres. This does not include venues that provide essential goods or services such as grocery stores, hospitals, pharmacies, gas stations, banks/credit unions, and shelters.
- The Village will utilize the flexibility given through the Governor’s Executive Order, which suspends Open Meeting Act requirements relating to in-person attendance by members of a public body. Specifically, the requirement in 5 ILCS 120/2.01 that "members of a public body must be physically present" is suspended; and (2) the conditions in 5 ILCS 120/7 limiting when remote participation is permitted are suspended. The Village is prepared to provide video, audio, and/or telephonic access to meetings to ensure members of the public may monitor the meeting, and will update the website and social media feeds to keep the public fully apprised of any modifications to their meeting schedules or the format of our meetings. Residents are encouraged to participate via live stream and call in or text to 847-250-6277 if they wish to provide comments or questions for the Village Board Meeting on Tuesday, March 17, 2020.
The Village is taking several proactive and precautionary steps to help prevent the spread of the virus in our community. Please note:
- The Village has closed the Public Works Facility (1700 W. Central Rd) and Fire Headquarters (112 E. Northwest Hwy) to the public. The closings were effective Monday, March 16 and runs through Tuesday, March 31.
- For those needing service at Village Hall: the public is encouraged to call, email or use the customer response portal to report concerns or ask questions in order to reduce the amount of contact with staff, for both the protection of our employees and residents.
- The deadline for vehicle sticker purchases has been extended to May 31, 2020. Buy online here.
- The April 5, 2020 due date for water/sewer/refuse bills (bills dated March 15, 2020) has been extended to April 20, 2020. Accounts on direct debit will debit on April 6, 2020. Pay online here.
- Reminder: all non-mandated public meetings, and all senior events and programs scheduled for the Farley Community Room are cancelled through April 4, 2020.
- Many one-on-one meetings with the public have also been cancelled, or are being conducted by phone or email. Residents who are sick or in isolation will be asked to delay/reschedule appointments.
- The Village’s food pantry will remain open and staff is prepared to screen new participants via phone. Learn more at www.mountprospect.org/foodpantry. Staff is pre-packing food and participants must call Human Services at 847-870-5680 or the Community Connections Center at 847-506-4930 to initiate a pick-up. Those whose health is compromised may be eligible to have their food delivered.
- Senior Citizens and other residents with special needs who have questions should call the Human Services Department at 847-870-5680.
- Election-day voting on Tuesday, March 17, 2020 will continue as scheduled.
- The Village encourages the public to sign up for the Everbridge community alert system. This allows the Village to communicate with you via phone call, text or email in case of an emergency. www.mountprospect.org/everbridge.
As a reminder: residents are strongly encouraged to practice social distancing measures, and follow these important guidelines from the White House Task Force on Coronavirus:
- Work from home when possible
- Avoid social gatherings of more than 10 people
- Use drive through or pick up options at local restaurants
- Avoid discretionary travel for shopping trips or social visits
- Practice good hygiene –
- Wash hands frequently especially after touching a frequently used item or service
- Avoid touching your face
- Sneeze or cough into a tissue or the inside of your elbow
- Disinfect frequently used items or surfaces as much as possible
These actions will help reduce the number of people who become sick.
We will continue to update residents as new information becomes available.
- Updates will be posted on the Village web site, www.mountprospect.org.
- Follow the Village on Social Media - Facebook and Twitter.
- Subscribe to E-News.
For more background information on the coronavirus and for the latest updates, please use the following links: